applications for a tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank
starting in August 2017. The Department of Kinesiology is a flourishing academic unit with 14 full time faculty members, over 500 undergraduate majors and approximately 40 master's level graduate students. The Department of Kinesiology is dedicated to the development of future leaders in professions that maximize the potential of individuals and society through physical activity. Programs in the department include Exercise Science (B.S. and M.S.) and Physical & Health Education Teacher Education (B.S. and M.A.T.). The department also houses a Coaching Education Minor, MorrisonBruce
Center and Empowerment3 Center. Please see
https://www.jmu.edu/kinesiology/ for more details.
Position responsibilities include:
- Teaching in the undergraduate and graduate Exercise Science programs.
- Contributing to the research program of the Human Performance Laboratory.
- Providing service to the department and/or university (e.g. by serving on committees at various levels within the university).
Required attributes include:
- Doctorate degree in Exercise Science or a related discipline (Candidates who are ABD may be considered if their degree will be conferred prior to August 2017).
- Evidence of prior teaching experience with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching. Appropriate experience to teach undergraduate courses in one or more of the following areas: Human Biomechanics, Biological Foundations of Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Testing and Prescription, Exercise Epidemiology, Lifetime Fitness and Wellness and other related areas. Preference will be given to candidates who possess the experience/interest to teach a Human Biomechanics course at the undergraduate level.
- Evidence of an active program of applied research with potential to engage graduate/undergraduate students.
- Potential for intradepartmental and cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Potential to secure external funding.
Review of applications will begin on November 7, 2016 and will continue until
the position is filled. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. To apply go to JobLink.jmu.edu, reference posting number 0407610, and submit the faculty profile, a letter of application, a curriculum vitae and contact information for three professional references.